If you have noticed that your water bill is higher than usual, it might be that you have a water leak somewhere in your home. You can check all of your exposed pipes for signs of leaks by looking at the pipes that are located under your sinks. However, sometimes leaks occur in pipes that are hidden from view. You can use these steps to help you find water leaks in your home that are not easily accessible or hidden from view.
- 1. First, turn off all the faucets in the house.
- 2. Next, turn off the water shutoff valves below all of the sinks.
- 3. Go to each of your appliances that use water, and turn off the water shutoff valves there. This includes your clothes washing machine, and your refrigerator if it has an icemaker.
- 4. Now go to your water meter. It is usually located on one of the exterior walls of your home.
- 5. Remove the cover from the water meter. Look to see where the needle of the water meter is stopped, and mark that spot with a marker. This gives you a baseline.
- 6. Now you just need to wait. Give it about an hour, and go back to the water meter. If the water meter’s needle has not moved from the spot that you marked, then you probably don’t have a leak. However, if the needle has moved, then that means that water is running somewhere. If you have properly turned off all water-using devices and the water meter has moved, then you likely have a leak somewhere. It could be underground.
- 7. Walk around your yard, and look for wet spots on the ground or sinkholes. These can be signs of a leaking pipe underneath.
If you see signs of a water leak, you should call a plumber to perform pipe leak detection and repair the problem. Plumbers can use electronic leak detection to locate water leaks that aren’t visible or accessible. Sometimes these leaks are slab leaks. Slab leaks are leaks that occur in the pipes that run under the foundation of your home. Obviously, these leaks cannot be seen. However, they can waste a ton of water and cause extensive damage to your home if left unrepaired.
Pipe leaks can be caused by a variety of factors. Sometimes, poor workmanship results in leaks. Sometimes, the foundation of the home shifts, causing a leak in the pipes in the slab or floor. Sometimes, leaks are caused by regular wear and tear on the plumbing system. The pipes can corrode, rust, or break down due to exposure to chemicals. Any of these things can lead to pipe leaks.
If you suspect a pipe leak, the best thing to do is to call a plumber right away. When a pipe leak is not repaired promptly, it can cause more serious damage to your home. The leak can spread, and the water can cause mold, mildew, and rotting. This can result in serious damage to the structure of your home.
For pipe leak detection services, call Scott English Plumbing. We offer electronic leak detection services, so we can find hidden leaks quickly. In addition, we specialize in slab leak detection and repair. Wherever the leak is located, we will find it and repair it promptly. We offer 24/7 emergency service, so you can count on Scott English Plumbing to handle your plumbing leak any time of the day or night. Give us a call today.