Which Product is Best for Drain Cleaning?
When you have a clogged drain, you have a multitude of products from which to choose to unclog it. Every homeowner is bound to encounter a clogged drain at some point, so it is good to be prepared for these times. The best product for drain cleaning depends upon two factors – the type of drain being unclogged and the type of clog in the drain. Here are five of the tools commonly used to remove clogs from drains.
1. Plunger – Every home should have a plunger. For small clogs, especially toilet clogs, a plunger is the perfect tool. It is inexpensive, easy to use, and effective. The key to using a plunger effectively is to maintain good suction with the plunger and apply several firm thrusts. This should clear out a clogged toilet quickly and easily.
2. Auger – An auger is also known as a snake or plumber’s snake. You can purchase an auger or rent one from your local tool rental store. Augers come in various sizes as well as manual or power varieties. The type of auger that you need depends on the type of job for which you will use it. Smaller clogs can be cleared with a small, manual auger. A bigger problem, like a clogged floor drain, may require a larger power auger. Pay attention to the cable length of the auger; you will need a cable long enough to run through the drain. The auger works by basically forcing it through the clogged up gunk in the pipe, so it must be long enough to run through the pipes until you reach the clog.
3. Chemical Drain Cleaners – There are many brands of chemical drain cleaners. They can come in liquid or solid form. These products contain many hazardous chemicals like sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide that can be dangerous when introduced to the water supply, so avoid using them if at all possible.
4. Home Remedies – A simply home remedy is available for cleaning your drains that is a good alternative to chemical drain cleaners. Just pour baking soda into the drain, and follow it with vinegar. The mixture will react and bubble up. After it stops bubbling, flush the drain with boiling water. This is an easy, inexpensive fix, and you probably have the ingredients that you need right in your kitchen. If this doesn’t do the trick, you may need to try a plunger.
5. Hydro Jet – A hydro jet is a tool that is similar to a pressure washer. It uses a hose, a controlled high-pressure water source, a flexible line and a nozzle with hydraulic force. This tool pulls the line into sewer pipes, cleans the pipes, and flushes out any residue. Hydro jets are a favorite tool of plumbers for eliminating recurrent drain clogs and removing residue.
These five products are the most frequently used tools for eliminating drain clogs. If you have a stubborn clogged drain at home, contact Scott English Plumbing. We will come out to your home with all of our professional tools and get to work right away to make sure that your clogged drain is repaired quickly and properly. We offer emergency response service 24/7, so you can call us for help anytime. If you have a clogged drain or any other type of plumbing problem, call Scott English Plumbing.