Every homeowner knows that there are going to be plumbing emergencies once in a while. Clogged drains and damaged pipes are just a fact of life. However there are steps you can take in order to avoid these emergencies. Of course you won’t be able to avoid every single emergency, but you can at least reduce their likelihood of happening. Here are the five most common emergencies plumbers deal with and a few tips to help you avoid them.
- 1. Pipes that have burst – This is one of the biggest problems plumbers deal with because the water tends to come out of these pipes rapidly, and the more water that comes out, the worse your home will be damaged.
- The most important thing homeowners should learn about burst pipes is to flip the water shutoff valve immediately.
- If you don’t know where this valve is, then you need to take a few minutes and learn its location. Flipping this valve is the only way you can mitigate damage to your home.
- In order to avoid this problem, just take steps to correct plumbing problems immediately in order to avoid waiting until the pipe has actually burst.
- 2. Pies that have frozen–This problem is most common in homes that are sitting empty, although it can occur in occupied homes as well. If the pipe hasn’t broken open yet, you can use hot water bottles to thaw it out slowly.
- Remember that water expands and contracts as it changes temperature, so you shouldn’t do this too quickly. You can avoid allowing the pipe to freeze by leaving a trickle of water on during very cold periods.
- Flowing water doesn’t freeze as easily as water that’s sitting still. Also consider adding insulation around pipes that are located along the outside walls of your home.
- 3. Plumbing fixtures that are leaking – Usually hair or some other object stuck in the trap of the fixtures is the reason for the leak, so turn off the shutoff valve to the fixture and check the trap.
- You should call in a plumber to handle the repair so that you know it’s fixed correctly.
- Use drain covers in drains where hair or other objects are more likely to fall in order to help avoid this problem. Of course sometimes leaks also occur just because the fixture is old and needs to be replaced.
- 4. Drains or toilets that are blocked – A plunger is the easiest way to attempt to fix this problem. Of course your number one defense against it is just being careful about how much and what goes down the drain.
- 5. Gas leaks – Sometimes plumbers do deal with gas leaks as well. You should evacuate the structure immediately if you smell gas because this creates a very dangerous situation. You may be able to shut off the gas valve with a little professional help, but it is not advisable that you handle this problem on your own because of how dangerous it is.
Let the professional plumbers at Scott English Plumbing help you with all of your plumbing needs.
We understand how important it is to have a reputable, reliable plumber available whenever you need assistance, so our plumbers are available around the clock.
We know it’s very inconvenient to need repairs done on your home, so we will handle the work as quickly and efficiently as possible because we value your time.
It’s our goal to offer our customers the highest quality parts and repairs. Call Scott English Plumbing today or any time.
24 hour emergency plumbing repair