Common Plumbing Disasters to Avoid
There are few things that can ruin your day quite like a plumbing disaster. Of course, no one intends to have a plumbing disaster, but there a few things you can do to avoid experiencing a plumber disaster. Here are some of the most common plumbing disasters to avoid.
- 1. Overflowing toilets can be a huge mess that everyone would rather avoid. If a toilet gets clogged or backed up, it can overflow onto the bathroom flow. This leaves behind a big, stinky mess that nobody wants to clean up.
- You can avoid this by only flushing human waste and toilet paper. Teach everyone in your family – especially kids – not to put anything else in the toilet. Paper towels, feminine hygiene products, and toilet cleaning products should all end up in the waste basket, not the toilet.
- You can also keep your toilet drain emptying properly by occasionally flushing it with a combination of baking soda and vinegar. This will help to disintegrate any paper that is accumulated in the pipes and avoid clogs.
- 2. Broken pipes are another common plumbing disaster to avoid. If a pipe breaks, the best thing you can do is to turn off the water supply valve as quickly as possible. This will stop the flow of water, which minimizes that amount of water that can damage other surfaces in your home.
- When you have the water supply valve turned off, call a professional plumber right away. Many plumbing services offer 24/7 emergency service to respond to issues like this. They will come out right away to deal with the mess and get your plumbing back in working condition.
- To prevent broken pipes, don’t let your pipes freeze during the winter. One of the most common causes of broken pipes is frozen pipes. You can prevent frozen pipes by wrapping your pipes in heat tape and making sure that they are properly insulated.
- If your pipes continue to freeze, you can let a small trickle of water run continuously when the weather is very cold. This movement through the pipes will prevent them from freezing.
- 3. Sometimes a plumbing disaster is the result of a DIY project gone bad. Although well intentioned, a DIY plumber might make common mistakes such as over tightening a joint which results in a leak, cracking tiles while attempting to remove a fixture, failing to use the proper materials, or placing fixtures inappropriately. The only cure for ill-fated plumbing DIY projects is experience.
If you want to avoid plumbing disasters, one of the best things you can do is to call a professional plumber to inspect your plumbing and give you advice. Certainly, the best cure for plumbing disasters caused by do it yourself projects is to replace the DIY plumber with an experienced professional.
At Scott English Plumbing, we have a team of knowledgeable, experienced, reliable plumbers at the ready. Our plumbers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond promptly to your plumbing disaster. In addition to emergency repairs, we also offer the following services:
- • Slab leak detection and repair
- • Electronic leak detection
- • Plumbing inspections
- • Video inspections
- • Backflow testing
- • Water heaters, standard and tankless
- • Toilets & Faucets
- • Sinks
- • Showers
- • Garbage disposals
- • Water softeners and more
We offer comprehensive plumbing services by experienced plumbing professionals. We have been providing plumbing services to Orange County residents for over 15 years, and we have earned a solid reputation as reliable, trustworthy professionals. When you need emergency plumbing service or routine plumbing maintenance, call Scott English Plumbing to handle the job.