Running water is a modern convenience that we all take for granted — until it stops working. Preventive care and maintenance of your plumbing system can help you to avoid unpleasant surprises like a failing plumbing system. If your home is older, you may need to look into repiping it. Repiping your home is a big job, one that many people avoid and put off. However, delaying this repair can lead to big problems in your home. So how do you know when it is time to repipe your home? These hints will help you to determine when it is time to repipe your house.
- 1. Pay attention to your water pressure. If the water pressure when you take a shower is lackluster, or the turn of a faucet results in only a trickle, it may be time to repipe your home. In fact, poor water pressure is one of the clearest and most common signs of trouble with your home’s piping system.
- 2. If your water starts to turn a funny color, pay attention. If your water has a red cast, that is often a sign of rusty pipes. Also, if the water runs colored when you first turn it on, but clears up after running for a few seconds, you have a problem with your piping.
- 3. Look for leaks. A leaky pipe that is visible raises the question of whether there are more leaky pipes in places where you can’t see them. You definitely need to replace the visible leaky pipe, but you may need to replace all of your pipes.
- 4. Check for corrosion. If you see signs of corrosion on any of your pipes, they definitely are ready to be replaced.
- 5. Poor temperature control is a problem. If your hot shower turns to scalding when someone flushes the toilet, you should call a professional to take a look at your pipes. It may be time to repipe your house.
- 6. Listen to your pipes. If your pipes make a lot of noise, like creaking or banging when the water moves through them, it is often a sign that they need to be replaced. Sometimes we get so used to the “house noises” we hear every day, that we don’t even notice them. Pay attention to whether you hear your pipes making noises or can hear water moving while the house is quiet.
- 7. Does your water smell funny? Any kind of unpleasant odor from your water can be an indication that your pipes are deteriorating and need to be replaced.
If you have noticed any of these symptoms in your home, you should call Scott English Plumbing. Scott English Plumbing will come to your home and do an inspection of your piping system. They will then present you with the options and an estimate for repair. Your repairs will be done quickly and efficiently, so that you don’t have to go without water for any longer than necessary.
The employees at Scott English Plumbing pride themselves on providing quality work at fair and reasonable rates. They have been in business for more than 15 years, so they know how to get the work done right and on time.
The services provided by Scott English Plumbing are not limited to repiping your home. They offer 24 hour emergency service for any plumbing emergency that might arise in your home. They also perform:
- • electronic leak detection
- • slab leak repair
- • sewer and drain cleaning
- • plumbing inspections
- • video inspections
- • backflow testing, and much more.
For any plumbing service needs, call Scott English Plumbing for quality service.